Kids rule the world—or at least they rule the world of KidzMondo. In this scaled-down city, children take on kid-friendly versions of real life jobs. As “kidizens”, they become pilots, bankers, astronauts, policemen, nurses, footballers, dentists, hairdressers, builders and more. They don the uniform of whichever profession they choose and get to work earning and spending “kidlars”, the official KidzMondo currency. “Work” activities are designed to engage and inspire children while teaching them life lessons and professional skills. This also encourages their independence, self-esteem, confidence and ability to work with others
Doha Family Rating:
Inside this 8,000-square-metre “city”, kids may choose from more than 60 occupations and professions. All the activities mirror real life, but under safe and secure conditions, and are guided by trained and competent staff. Even the businesses in the city are real: sponsors such as Qatar Airways, Hilton, Ooredoo, Salam, WOQOD, Qatar Media Corporation, IAID Performing Arts and many more facilitate the authenticity of the activities.
The kidlars that children earn for their endeavours can be saved at the pretend Qatar International Islamic Bank, or spent in the Kidlar Store, supermarket, perfumery, jewellery store, barber, beauty salon, petrol station, arts and crafts room or any of the other establishments within KidzMondo.
To enter this unique world, children must pick up a boarding pass from the entrance of the park, which is designed to look like Qatar Airways check-in desks. They will also receive a city map, a cheque worth 50 kidlars to be cashed at the “bank” inside, and a tracking device for security.
The city itself is laid out over two levels, with the premises of businesses and establishments set around streets, plazas and a roadway on the lower level. Though allowed within the park, adults are not permitted inside the businesses where children “work”. Each establishment has large plate-glass windows so parents may watch their kids from outside. Once children enter and start to play their chosen role, they are completely independent.
Safety is paramount at KidzMondo. The site is certified by Kidproof Safety and the International Association of Amusement Parks and Attractions. It incorporates appropriate fire protection, alarmed emergency exits, security cameras and a first aid room on the mezzanine level.
Each visitor is provided with a security bracelet, which is removed upon exit from the site. The bracelet, called a “Kidzband”, enables KidzMondo staff to track visitors’ movements inside the city and to prevent children from leaving unnoticed. Adults are not able to enter unless accompanied by a child or when picking up a child they have previously registered.
Location: First floor in the Mall of Qatar, off of Dukhan Highway
Directions: Most of the area around the mall is under construction, so watch out for diversions.
From Dukhan Highway
- Pass Sidra Hospital and QNCC on your right and continue along the highway
- With the Amiri Guard on your left, take the right exit towards Al-Rufaa Street and the Mall of Qatar
From Doha Expressway (towards Al Rayyan)
- Take the exit towards Al-Rufaa Street/Celebration Road
- Continue to Al-Rufaa Roundabout and take a right towards the Mall of Qatar
Parking: There is plenty of free basement and outside covered parking at the Mall of Qatar
Contact: +974 4028-5888, kidzmondo.qa
Accessibility: KidzMondo is easily accessible to all abilities. Wide streets, along with lifts and stairs, enable all users to access the activities. Children with special needs do not need to queue to participate
Hours: Saturday to Thursday 10:00–22:00, Friday 13:00–22:00
Fees: Free for children younger than one, QR 90 for adults and children between one and four years of age, QR 135 for children between four and 14 years of age
Ages: KidzMondo is designed for children aged between two and 14 years.
Children below four may only enter the Toddler’s Inn (a small soft play area) and the premises marked with a T+ sticker on the door— the painting school, arts and crafts room, barber shop, beauty salon, police station and nursery. Toddlers do not earn or pay kidlars for any activity.
Kids above the age of three may participate in all activities, though some height restrictions apply. Check the information boards.
Children under eight years old need to be accompanied by an adult at all times. Kids between eight and 12 can access the park alone but need to be registered and picked up by an adult. Teenagers up to 14 years old can enter and exit the park on their own.
Food and beverages: No food from outside the KidzMondo premises is allowed to be consumed on site. However, there are a number of food and drink outlets in the city, including Mokarabia, Mister Pizza, Crepe and More, Build It Burger and more coming soon.
Toilet facilities: Located in numerous areas on the ground and mezzanine floors of KidzMondo, the toilet facilities feature toilets and sinks at a lowered height for children. Hand sanitiser dispensers are provided at the exit point of all toilets
Nearby mosque: Male and female prayer rooms are available on the first floor of the mall
Things to note
- Register on the KidzMondo website or follow their Facebook page to make sure you know about upcoming events and promotions. Currently, registering on the website also gives you a chance to access free entry tickets.
- A KidzMondo photographer walks the city taking photos of the children at play and hands out tickets that correspond to a child’s photo. Upon exiting the park, visitors can exchange a ticket for a copy of the photograph for QR 30 per framed picture. There is also a gift shop that sells KidzMondo merchandise as you exit the venue.
- Birthday parties for groups of 20 or more can be arranged in one of two private party rooms. Smaller parties (up to ten children and two adults) can be organised in either the Build It Burger or Mister Pizza restaurants. Packages for birthday parties range from QR 1,500 to QR 17,500 and include food, activities, entertainment, decorations, free park entry, invitations and more, depending on the package selected. Add-ons such as a popcorn station, a chocolate fountain and photography can be purchased for additional fees. Contact the KidzMondo birthday office on +974 4028-5000 or email@example.com for further details.
- At the time of writing, a number of establishments, including the astronomy and space centre and the flight simulators, had not yet been completed.
- There are no “in and out privileges”, so children may not exit Kidzmondo temporarily once they have entered the site.
- Don’t underestimate the size of the park. There are enough activities for several hours of play depending on your child.