Designed to cater to families, Cool de Sac combines guided entertainment for children and a family restaurant in one location. Parents can dine in Bistro Cool with their children or eat while the little ones play. Cool de Sac’s open layout provides parents with a nearly unobstructed view of what their kids are up to.
From painting faces and helping with costumes to tying on smocks and taking off toddler shoes for the soft play section, the staff are there to supervise the kids while parents enjoy their meals and conversations.
The venue is divided into sections based on activities. There is a playground area where children can climb, crawl, swing, spin and hang. Meanwhile, other activities include dress up, computer and video games, arts and crafts and face painting. The wall with pods full of LEGO bricks allows little ones to design and build their own creations. Toddlers will enjoy the soft play section and ball pit. The flooring all throughout the venue is a hard rubberised material—sturdy enough to run on, soft enough if there’s a fall.
Doha Family Rating
Special menus for parents and children include soups, salads, burgers, sandwiches, pizza and pasta as well as dishes from the grill like beef tenderloin and salmon steak. A variety of fresh juice cocktails, coffee and tea and desserts are available. Even though they’ve been boosted with veggies, the kids’ menu options are heavy foods like deep-fried chicken nuggets, fries, pizzas and pastas, but the adult menu has a number of healthier options that kids will also likely enjoy such as the grilled chicken with potatoes and broccoli.
One of our favourite things about Cool de Sac is the attention to safety. Parents and children are given matching wristbands that are checked before leaving the restaurant. Name tags are provided for children so that staff are able to easily identify them. For extra protection against germs, everyone (even the little ones) must sanitise their hands before entering. There is only one entrance in and out of the venue, even for staff, so wily children can’t sneak out. However, in case of an emergency, there are three additional exits, but these will set off alarms if they are opened.
Location: Medina Centrale, The Pearl-Qatar
- Upon entering The Pearl, keep to the left towards Pearl Blvd.
- At the first signal, turn right (road is currently unnamed).
- At the next signal, turn left on to Porto Arabia Dr.
- At the first roundabout, take the third exit.
- Cool de Sac will be on your left, next to Megapolis.
Parking: Minimal street parking, but there is ample parking in the lot across the street at Spinneys.
Nearby landmarks: Megapolis, Spinneys
- Climbing frame, suitable for three years old and up
- Video game section with nine stations and two controllers per station
- Five computers with educational games
- Toddler soft play area including a ball pit
- Magnet table
- Arts and crafts section (smocks are available)
- LEGO wall and tables
- Dress up (costumes include princesses, mermaids, firemen, doctors, etc.)
- Face painting and nail polish application
Fathers allowed: Yes
Opening hours: Saturday to Wednesday 10:00–23:00, Thursday 10:00–01:00, Friday 13:00–01:00
Entrance fees: 12 years and younger QR 75; Drop N’ Play QR 195 (2 hours); adults are free
Contact: cooldesac.com.qa, +974 3333-4112/8, +974 4437-8421/2
Age group: Six months to 12 years (see our Doha Family tip regarding ages)
Food and beverages:
- Appetisers QR 24–61
- Salads QR 39–49
- Main dishes (sandwiches, pasta, grill dishes, etc.) QR 45–110
- Desserts QR 28–38
- Appetisers QR 35–45
- Mains QR 38
- Desserts QR 10–28
There are toilet facilities inside the venue. There is one family/wheelchair-accessible toilet room with sink and changing table. The women’s toilet has a long shelf in the back, suitable for changing nappies if necessary. The toilets are kid-sized and very low—perfect for kids, awkward for adults.
Nearby prayer rooms:
The nearest prayer rooms are outside the restaurant to the right, across the street and a brief walk down the block.
Wi-Fi: Yes. Megapolis free Wi-Fi
Dress code: Conservative dress to respect local culture
Doha Family tips
- While Cool de Sac says they cater to the ages of six months to 12 years, we feel that the entertainment is best suited for children between ages one and nine years. Children ten or older will surely find a few things entertaining, but unless the yare LEGO fanatics or budding artists, they may run out of things to do.
- Socks are required for the toddler soft play, but if you forget, socks can be purchased at the cashier for QR 10 per pair.
- The Drop ‘N Play option is perfect for parents looking for a quick kid-free dinner date. For QR 195 (includes a child’s meal), parents can leave their child at Cool de Sac to be looked after by staff for up to two hours.
- The admission fee covers all activities except the ceramic painting option, which costs an extra QR 25–75, depending on the item.
- During the times we visited, the music was a bit on the loud side for conversations.