With the weather heating up quickly in Doha, there’s no doubt we’ll all be looking for great ways to cool down. But before you crank up the air conditioners, just take a second to think about what would happen if we all did that; Mother Nature wouldn’t be too happy!
Luckily there’s no need to resign yourself to months of peeling yourself off of sweat-soaked surfaces and assuming a lethargic daze of inactivity. Check out these environmentally-friendly ways to beat the heat responsibly!
1. Clean out your air conditioner filters. Clean filters are more efficient on a warmer temperature setting.
2. Invest in white or light-coloured window shades, drapes or blinds. Light colours deflect the sun’s
heat rays and keep them from being absorbed into your home.
3. Get rid of hidden heat sources. Invest in eco-friendly light bulbs and turn off unused appliances which give off heat and waste energy even when they are not in use.
4. Open a window or turn on a ceiling fan. Creating a breeze or draft will have a cooling effect as it blows over your skin.
5. Turn off your air conditioner when you leave home. It’s just common sense!
Follow these tips and you can definitely beat the heat responsibly in Doha this summer! You’ll save more than one type of green: the environment and your hard-earned money, too!