Accessibility: The library is designed to be fully accessible to all visitors, including those with small children in pushchairs and those with special needs. Entrances and exits to the library have either a ramped approach or a chairlift.
Inside the library, the terraced bookshelves can be accessed via ramps or an innovative glass lift system, which travels on an incline along the interior of the glass walls, giving the passenger access to each level of shelving and fabulous views of Education City. Lifts towards the back of the library provide access to the other floors. Emergency escape stairs/chair lifts are also provided.
Platform lifts provide access from the upper tiers of the ground floor to quiet reading areas equipped with chairs, sofas, tables and excellent views of the whole library.
Hours: Saturday to Thursday 08:00–20:00, Fridays 16:00–20:00
Contact: +974 4454-6039, qnl.qa
Fees: Membership is free to Qatari citizens and residency permit holders. Books can be borrowed for up to 21 days. Adults may borrow four books at a time, and children up to 10 books. Two DVDs and one CD may be borrowed for seven days, and up to two renewals can be done online or in person
Ages: QNL caters to all ages; however, there are some age limits for specific collections or resources. Children younger than nine must be accompanied by an adult at all times
Food and beverages: A café and restaurant are located on the ground floor. The cafe offers sandwiches, salads, cakes and pastries, soft drinks and coffee, while the restaurant also offers soups, burgers, shawarma and desserts. Snack and drink vending machines are also available in the Quiet Zone of the library, but they require exact change
Toilet facilities: There are toilet facilities located on each floor. Accessible facilities are provided for visitors with disabilities
Wi-Fi: Log on to “QNL-Guest”
Nearby Mosque: Prayer rooms are located towards the back of the library adjacent to the washroom facilities. Also, the Education City Mosque is located a short walk from the library entrance at the College of Islamic Studies
Doha Family Tips
- Grab a snack and hop into one of the relaxing hanging bubble seats adjacent to the café
- You can reserve study and media rooms, RSVP to events, browse the collections and renew your borrowed books online
- The café and restaurant menus are delicious and healthy but not very child-friendly; and unfortunately, there are no high chairs or children’s plates and cutlery available
- Rotating digital screens provide a map view of the library, so don’t worry if you get a bit lost in the building
- Join one of the general library or Heritage Library tours to get an in-person introduction to this massive collection. Tour schedules are listed online
- Subscribe to the library newsletter on the QNL website to keep up-to-date with the latest news and events
- After a day exploring the library shelves, we suggest catching a breath of fresh air at the wonderful Oxygen Park, conveniently located a short walk away. If you haven’t heard of Oxygen Park, take a look at our review.